Families are the compass that guide us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights!


About Me

My photo
I'm a retired mom. Do mom's ever retire? Anyway every once in a while I get called upon for my mothering skills from a few of my past employees. But for now I'm trying to get used to the idea of not mothering everyday. I'm a "Grandma" or "Nana" to three handsome gransons. Daven, his baby brother Bruce and Reese. You might know me as Shelton, Drew's, or lil Brook mom. Or maybe you know me as Angela's, Walesca's, or Shaun's Mom inlaw. However you may know me, you know that I LOVE my FAMILY! I also am blessed with a wonderful husband who I love with all my heart. We are now as we started...Just the two of us. The Empty Nest thing is definately a difficult change but we are definately getting the hang of it. No matter how old your children are you worry about the choices they make and how those choices will affect thier life...Only now you try to cover your mouth and pray for the best and let them live thier life and trust that they are in God's hands. I have faith that our children will be fine as we raised them well. I am so proud of all my children and thier spouses and I am proud to be thier mom!

The Best Family Ever

The Best Family Ever

~Visitors Welcome~

Mike and I our empty nesters...but we are loving every minute...especially when the kids come back to visit. I love this quote by Erma Bombeck:

"When mothers talk about the depression of the empty nest, they're not mourning the passing of all those wet towels on the floor, or the music that numbs your teeth, or even the bottle of capless shampoo dribbling down the shower drain. They're upset because they've gone from supervisor of a child's life to a spectator. It's like being the vice president of the United States."

But, seriously we are truely enjoying just sitting back and watching our kids be parents!

We love our family and friends!

Brook

My Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, August 30, 2009

MRSA and Me!

= ( MRSA and Me = (
Anyone who’s ever tested positive for an MRSA infection will know what I’m talking about here. I’m curious to know when if ever, you can be declared free of this dreaded superbug? I guess the standard procedure seems to be to aim for three consecutive negative screening swabs. Is this seriously enough to give you the green light for all-clear? Or does a requisite time-frame have to elapse before a recurrence/repeat recurrence can be ruled out? I believe that the medical profession does not seem to want to know or care about the reality of recurrence. My feeling is that once you have MRSA Status, it seems that you will be viewed as a ‘threat’ to society and believe me, it produces some ‘interesting’ reactions. The interesting thing though is you may be infected with MRSA for years before it is diognosed…but once it’s public…Watch Out!!
I think (although I can’t pinpoint this for sure) that I caught MRSA at a hospital when I had my sinus surgery in 2007. It wasn’t until August 2009 that I was cultured and diognosed with the dreaded MRSA which was colonized in my sinuses. Since 2007 I have had constant ear and sinus infections all treated with antibiotics. Because of all these infections I have considerable hearing loss. I have gone regularly to my family doctor and specialists my Pulminologist and my ENT Doctor... Now after all this time and all these antibiotics I'm told that only two antibiotics will work to kill this Super Bug called MRSA. Unfortunately, it won't be long before this Super Bug is immuned to these antibiotics too. Then the only course of action left will be a Hospital stay to be treated with Vancomiocyn. I dread that day! After all, isn't that where all this started and what happens after that drug quits working?…Hopefully they will invent another drug by the time that happens. I still have my sinus headaches and other symptoms. But, when I returned to the doctor that diognoised my MRSA…I was told that I would have to wait to have another culture because they will not take another culture only periodically. I need to find another ENT and also an Infectious Disease Doctor.
Life goes on…and the fight begins! One thing in my corner is my faith. Mike and Shelton gave me a blessing the other day and I have faith in the Power of that blessing… I must always remember to have faith because with God anything is possible. I will be fine.
Have you got any views on this I'd love to hear?

1 comment:

  1. My niece was diagnosed with MRSA last year, after struggling with an infection for a year before her diagnosis; immediately she was referred to a wonderful infectious disease dr in Vegas, it took a looong time, but they finally have said that she's ok. They had to test everybody else in the house to see if someone in the family was a carrier...turns out her older brother was (they're guessing he caught it during his hospital stay before the infected niece was even born!) Because Carter was a carrier, he never showed any symptoms, but was reinfecting his sister every time she was clear. After treating BOTH of them, they both have tested clear on 2 swabs since. Just an experience I've witnessed with it...I hope it all works out for you Brook!

    ReplyDelete